Thursday, August 25, 2011

Do you have jumper cables?


Over the course of this deployment I have managed to kill the battery on both my truck, and also my husband’s. That is correct, multiple times, I am very talented. I will add that I can jump start a car faster than most women I know. Another thing that I have learned over the course of many times moving vehicles, and popping hoods; I never once had anyone ask if I needed help. Granted I would rather do it on my own, that way I do not feel so embarrassed, but the point is, not one person could help. 

My husband and I spoke a lot before he deployed how you never see anyone pulling over to help others on the sides of the roads. I remember when I was in school, before cell phones were huge, if we broke down we did not wait long until somebody was there to help. Stranger or not. I oddly find this sad, that the simple common courtesy of helping others is almost nonexistent when it comes to broke down vehicles.

 Now, living on a military post we are for the most part all going through the same types of situations. Lots of men and women are left alone for long periods of times. This means that if you have car troubles, or any troubles really, you are on your own to figure out how to fix it. So when I see a woman, or man at that, that needs help it is always nice to ask if they could use your help or not. I know when my husband was home, he was great about helping others. So to go so long with so many car troubles, without a single person helping made me feel even more alone. 

A few months ago I was having trouble with my vehicle that I for the life of me could not figure out. Immediately after hearing I needed help, a friend from church had a mechanic at my house within hours to help me out. At that moment, I felt so blessed to have a relationship with people that are there for each other. I did not feel so alone at that moment. 

Dealing with the battery problem again this morning, for the second time this week, I was feeling very lonely. I know what you are thinking, and no, it was not due to me leaving the lights on…. this time. Frustrated I was trying to quickly change car seats from one car to another to get my children to school on time. Then I heard a voice come from across the street. A neighbor, whom I never officially met, yelled over to ask if I had jumper cables. Could it be, with a month to go before my husband returns I have finally found a man willing to take time to help me out? Although I was running too late to except his help, I suddenly felt less stressed, just knowing that he had been so kind. Now I understand this does not sound like a HUGE deal. It is not as though he gave me a hundred dollars, or let me take credit for the cure of cancer. But for me just the fact that he had noticed I needed help, and offered his time was enough for me. If everyone would take a few minutes out of their day to help someone that needs it, we could make the day of so many people. 

Maybe they will not need your help, or maybe you will end up helping for longer than you expected, but the fact is you helped. Therapeutic I guess for both yourself and the one you helped. Pay it forward, even if it is just asking if they have jumper cables.

No comments:

Post a Comment