Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lessons learned, and tears dried.

You know those days that you think things could not get any better? Those days that at a point you cannot believe you have been blessed for such a moment. We have all had those days, some more than others, but they have been there.
I understand that it is impossible to go through life living day after day as though it could not get any better. We all have our days, days that we feel our shoulders are heavy with burdens. Sometimes we feel as though everyone around us is watching with eyes wide open, just waiting for the next move. Sometimes when these days hit it is hard to get back up. Maybe you feel as though that ever so blessed moment you had before will not return. Maybe you feel as though you do not deserve moments in life that take your breath away.
We all lead different lives, and react to situations differently. The older I get the more I am learning that life is what WE make of it.
I live down the street from a church on post. There are many activities and meetings held by the Army at the church. Another thing, as at many churches, that are held there are memorial services. It breaks my heart every time I see that church fill with soldiers for the reasons that we as military families pray to never deal with. Death. Many of the soldiers killed are very young and either have young children at home, or maybe have not even had the chance to begin a family of their own yet.
These moments have a way of slapping me in the face. Moments like these force me to step outside of myself and look deeply into the life that I have. Three healthy children and a family that loves and supports me. A home to come home to every night and friends to listen to me when I need. It makes it hard to stress over moments that really do not need to be stressed over. Because at the end of it all, I am alive, I get to live to see another day.
Some days I feel as though I am at war with the world. I am angry for reasons that I cannot even explain, maybe just upset at life itself. This may last all day, maybe even slide into a two day rut. What I do not understand is why you would want to go through life this way, day after day. Do not get me wrong, I know that some have health issues that make being happy a hard thing; but to the rest of us let us put it into perspective.
Look around you as you sit and read this. Do you have even just one person in your life that you love more than yourself? Do you have clean clothes on your back? (Answer yes if your clothes are dirty by choice.) Did you have a meal today? Have you had the pleasure of having a breath taking moment?
Sometimes we need a reminder that everyday has something in it that we should feel lucky to have lived. Some families have lost loved ones, just like those of the memorials that I have witnessed far too many of. I cannot explain why some deal with issues that are out of their hands and so heavy on their hearts. I cannot explain why as I sit here and write this someone is losing their life. I cannot even explain to you why I have been given the right to voice my opinions. What I can explain is that we are all living our lives, day by day, moment by moment. We will have things that happen in our lives that we cannot erase or find a reason to be happy. But there is tomorrow. Take those moments and use them for your new today. Lessons learned, and tears dried.
There is no reason to wake up every moment of your life and not live to the full extent of your day. My heart goes out to the families that have lost loved ones, military or not. And I hope that someday, if you have not already, you get your day that you feel it could not get any better. And remember, do not hold grudges and make sure that you say the things to those that you love and care about. We never know when they will be gone, and we too have to struggle to get those happy moments back.

No comments:

Post a Comment