Friday, May 31, 2013

Could I?

I have nights that I think more than usual about how much I truly miss my other half. I am happy that he is safe, and he is not in any danger right now, but I sure miss him. There are moments that I cry out of pride, times that I cry out of fear, and times that I cry for the emotions that I feel for the ones that are gone.

When we think about persons being deployed, or stationed elsewhere it is easy to think about the ones that are left behind and what they must be dealing with. It is easy to overlook that simple fact that we, the ones "left behind", have it easy. We are here in our homes with our families or friends. And although many are without their immediate family and friends there are always people there if you need. The ones that are gone are the ones that we fail to think about what is being missed. They are without any family or close friends. They are without their children, and homes. They do not have access to the simple things and in most cases the simple luxuries. When we crave a certain food, there are hundreds of choices to ease that craving, imagine not having a choice. When we have a rash, we run to the store and get a lotion or cream, imagine not having that option.

So could I do it? Well.... if I had to, yes. I use to think I was tough enough for the military. Physically, yes in most cases. Emotionally, not with children. I could not imagine a day without my children, and yet their father is missing 14 months of their lives. I could not imagine losing out on the moments of tears, and smiles, and triumphs. I could not imagine not sitting with them every night and fighting with them to finish their brussel sprouts. Or tucking them in after a bathroom break, and easing a scaring thought, or just because they can't stay in bed. So I guess could I.... no.

My point is that although the families have emotional hurdles and heartbreaks, we have each other. The focus should not be on the ones that are missing the ones away, but rather the ones away that can only miss the life they once had.

No comments:

Post a Comment