Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Heavy Heart

Sometimes I feel as though we go through our days never really understanding why we do what we do. It seems as though days can be routine, and never respected in its full. Taking it for granted would be the proper way to explain it.
Living this lifestyle has taught me so much. It has taught me that there is a line to be drawn when it comes to respect. It has taught me that some days seem longer than others, but everyday that you wake up as a whole family is a great day. It has taught me that nothing is a sure thing, and sometimes in life you truly do not get a choice of which direction your life is going in. One thing though that I have learned in this journey is that there are many days that I am filled with a heavy heart, and that is okay.
It seems as though death is all around us, military or civilian. Sadness is something that is inevitable, even if we think we are made of stone. The hard part for me is watching those that only see sadness in their own lives. I understand that we all have troubles, and I by no means am saying that we should not feel sorrow for ourselves. It is the lack of feeling towards others that weighs heavy on my heart.
One thing that is a sad routine is the routine of loss. In the almost three short years that I have lived on an Army post, there have been many funerals. Another routine that I have noticed is that there are spouses that show no remorse for the families of the ones lost.
It may be the time of year, with holidays and celebrations that are coming up. I just feel as though these are the times that we need to truly come together and show those that have been through those times, that we all pray never happens to us, that they are not alone. Showing compassion for others is something that I wish everyone would demonstrate. I feel as though the ones that have made it through this life of not-knowing forget that others were lost in the road to freedom.
Never take for granted what you have, and never forget that others may not be so lucky. Take extra time out of your day to show others that you have a heavy heart. Let others know that it is okay to feel sad for one another; because it is showing an understanding that you realize in the midst of love there is loss, and sometimes we are the ones that need to show compassion for the ones that have lost. We are in this together, life as a whole, so do not hesitate to help your neighbor. We should not be afraid to show emotions for others sadness. Open our hearts and our ears to the stories of those around us, and to the questions that others have. Teaching is a skill, but learning is a gift.
I hope that you find yourself in the position of showing a heavy heart for others, and not having a heavy heart these holidays for sorrow of your own. If you do though, do not forget that you are not alone, and with tough times comes lessons learned, maybe not just for you but for those willing to open their heart to your sadness also.

No comments:

Post a Comment